Sunday, May 21, 2023

 

Today’s Totally Random Line(s)

 

There is a lady of Verona here

Whom I affect; but she is nice and coy,

And naught esteems my aged eloquence:

 

Duke of Milan

The Two Gentlemen of Verona     Act III, Scene i, Line 81

 

Now, I’m not exactly sure what Whom I affect means here. It could mean whom I have an effect on. That’s what it would mean today. If you look up affect in the MW it just means to have an effect on, and based on the Duke calling the lady nice and coy he could mean that he’s having an effect on her, but she won’t admit it because, well, she’s too nice and too coy. However, maybe the duke is having no effect on her. Therefore, he is saying he likes her. If you look affect in the Shakespeare glossary it’s got half a dozen meanings. The first is the same as the modern MW definition, but one of the other ones is to like something: if you affect it, you like it. This seems to be the way it’s being used here: the duke has no effect on the woman (she has an effect on him), but he likes her.

I guess that’s a little confusing. I have to say, though, that I like the aged eloquence part. In fact, I would say that lately I am embracing my aged eloquence. I am doing my best to affect an air of aged eloquence. Though I think if I met you, I might not have that effect upon you.

Now, as a public service announcement (and since I probably completely confused you), here is a quick reminder of how to use affect and effect in modern parlance.

Affect is almost always the verb (remember: Affect is to Act)

Effect is almost always the noun (I don’t have a catchy way to remember this, other than it’s not an Action and therefore does not start with A).

I hope I have not affected you in a negative way with all this talk about affect and effect.

In fact, I hope it’s had a positive effect on you.


Most certainly you can see the air of aged eloquence being displayed here. 
Notice also, that I didn't use affect or effect in that sentence! 
You're welcome.



2 comments:

Squeaks said...

Before your explanation, I was assuming that "affect" was used as a noun version of "affection". As in, "My husband, whom I affect" as in "My husband, whom I have affection for"

Pete Blagys said...

Ummm.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...