Sunday, June 25, 2023

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines

 

As one relying on your lordships’s will,

And not depending on his friendly wish.

 

Proteus

Two Gentlemen of Verona             Act I, Scene iii, Line 61

 

Okay, first context (not that I knew it; I had to read it on my Shakepseare App): Proteus’s father asks him what’s in the letter he’s reading. Proteus answers that it’s from his buddy Valentine who wishes that Proteus would join him at the emperor’s court. And Proteus’s father asks the lad what he thinks about Valentine’s wish. Proteus’s answer is Today’s Totally Random Line: he will do what his father wants, not what his friend wishes.

Interesting. He will do what his father wants. Well first off, he’s lying to his father because the letter is actually from Proteus’s girlfriend, but he doesn’t want his dad to know he’s reading a love letter. So in that respect, he’s already doing what he thinks his dad won’t approve of. Secondly, he has no desire to go to the emperor’s court because that would take him away from his girlfriend. Thirdly, he’s gonna do what his father wants him to do? What world is this?

You know, kids marching to their own drum, and not the tune that their parents want them to march to, has got to be as old as time itself. So, I’ve got to believe that there were people in the audience in 1590 who would have a good scoff at this line, if not an outright laugh. And of course, the line could be delivered with a number of different tones and emphases (that’s the plural of emphasis; I had to look it up) to add to the effectiveness of the line. But I digress.

Perhaps Proteus should have just been up front with his dad? And by the way, forget about being careful what you wish for, Proteus needs to be careful what his friend wishes for. Or, more precisely, he needs to be careful what he tells his father that his friend wishes for. Well now, that’s a bit convoluted, isn’t it.



My newest Blackwing. It's the Independent Bookstores special edition that Nina and Jeff brought me back from Cally. I didn't wish for it, I just got it. 
Sometimes it's best not to wish for anything, just be happy with what you've got and with what you get. 


1 comment:

Squeaks said...

What a nice pencil!
I'll be honest, I didn't fully understand the line until you spelled it out at the end of the first paragraph. And then I thought - wow, that seemed so easy. How did I miss that!?

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...