Tuesday, June 20, 2023

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines

 

Hail!

 

Second Witch

Macbeth                  Act I, Scene iii, Line 107

 

Hail to you all. That’s our line of the day and our word of the day. Hail! It doesn’t get much shorter than that.

I really enjoy finding little gems all the time in Will's works even though I know that his works have been pored over and examined ad infinitum, so that I'm certainly never the first to discover these gems. This morning I noticed that the witches start this play, and they end their brief opening with

Fair is foul and foul is fair:

Hover through the fog and filthy air. And then here in scene three Macbeth shows up for the first time in the play, and his first line is So foul and fair a day I have not seen. Obviously Will is keying in on foul and fair. I wonder how many more times it shows up in the play. I’m going to check the end. Well, there’s Siward referring to his son who died in battle

Had I as many sons as I have hairs,

I would not wish them to a fairer death.

So he’s got fair and death in the same sentence. Yes, that’s a continuation of the same thought, right to the end. Let’s take it as a way of knowing that a (the?) main theme of this work is the juxtaposition of foul and fair.

And we’ll leave it at that.

It occurs to me that just about everything has a foul and fair side to it. And if that's the case, than I can give you a picture of anything to illustrate that. 
So I took the most recent pic off my phone, and this is it.
 I don't know why I took this picture, but I'm sure there must be something foul and something fair about it. N'est pas?


 

 

2 comments:

Squeaks said...

Muscle pain is foul, but coffee is always fair.

Pete Blagys said...

Good answer!

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...