Wednesday, June 21, 2023

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines

 

There is a river in Macedon; and there is also moreover a river at Monmouth:  it is called Wye at Monmouth; but it is out of my prains what is the name of the other river; but ‘tis all one, ‘tis alike as my fingers is to my fingers, and there is salmons in both.

 

 

Fluellen

King Henry the Fifth                     Act IV, Scene vii, Line 32

  

This is Fluellen, the Welsh guy, and Gower. They are two soldiers in Henry’s army, and they are shooting the breeze during a respite in the battle. Prains is Will’s way of making fun of Fluellen’s Welsh accent. He means brains. Then Fluellen starts mixing up Macedon with Macedonia, and it goes on from there. I guess it’s a little comic relief added into this history play.



These guys are hanging out in a small tributary of the Moanachira River. 
I wonder if Fluellen could mix up Moanachira with Monmouth or Macedon?




1 comment:

Squeaks said...

But how do you know "prains" is making fun of the accent? What if prains means something?

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...