Monday, June 12, 2023

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines

 

But, before God, Kate, I cannot look greenly, nor gasp out my eloquence, nor I have no cunning in protestation; only downright oaths, which I never use till urged, nor never break for urging.

  

Henry

King Henry the Fifth            Act V, Scene ii, Line 143

  

Well if you think that’s long, I’ve only taken a few lines out of Henry’s speech to Katherine. He goes on and on. He’s trying to talk her into marrying him, whilst struggling with a language barrier. Neither his French nor her English is very good, so it’s a difficult conversation in which he’s doing most of the talking. Somehow or another he succeeds. Historically, this is an attempt to unite the leadership of England and France. Henry V has conquered most of France and now has made a treaty with French King Charles by which Charles gets to remain king of France for his lifetime, but upon his death the rule passes to Henry. Henry indeed succeeds in marrying Katherine, but then will  die fairly young, and the plan to unite the countries falls apart with Henry VI who assumes the kingship as a child and never really grows into the job. Bottom line: if Henry had lived a full long life, and if his son were a bit more capable of a leader, France and England might be one nation today. And if wishes were horses beggars would ride. Hey, is that a Shakespeare line? Nah, just looked it up. It’s an old Scottish nursery rhyme. See, not everything is Shakespeare! BTW, no extra charge for the history lesson today.



Okay, I spent a good ten minutes or so looking for a pic for today. I give up. 

I guess I don't have as much perseverance as Henry had.


4 comments:

Squeaks said...

Is this an actual historical event? That's crazy!

Pete Blagys said...

If you're asking about this scene and the conversation between Katherine and Henry: I don't know, but I'm guessing that's all made up for the play. But the overall history that I outlined, yes, that's what happened. More or less.

Squeaks said...

I wonder if they covered it in my history classes and I just never paid attention.

Pete Blagys said...

This is British history. Even the world history classes in school don't go into that much detail history of any countries.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                          I have heard Your grace hath ta’en great pains to qualify His rigorous cours...