Sunday, September 1, 2024

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines

 

But he loves Caesar best;--yet he loves Antony.


Enobarbus

Antony and Cleoapatra          Act III, Scene ii, Line 15


Enobarbus and Agrippa, two old soldiers, are talking about the three leaders who make up the new triumvirate: Octavius Caesar, Mark Antony, and Lepidus. It seems that Lepidus is the old man of the three and it’s he who Enobarbus is saying loves Caesar best, yet loves Antony. Enobarbus and Agrippa are going back and forth with this banter, and I think both are saying that Lepidus is weak and trying to make sure he stays in the good graces of both the two younger, stronger leaders.

Being the old guy that I am, I guess I’d try to do the same as Lepidus. Though, I think I’d rather just get out of the triumvirate altogether if I had to contend with two young, strong-headed bucks like Caesar and Antony.


You're right Mojo; why would we want to put up with that kind of nonsense when we could just be sitting here relaxing in the garden?

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                          I have heard Your grace hath ta’en great pains to qualify His rigorous cours...