Tuesday, September 10, 2024

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines

 

With this, there grows,

In my most ill-composed affection, such

A stanchless avarice, that, were I king,

I should cut off the nobles for their lands;

Desire his jewels, and this other’s house:

 

Malcolm

Macbeth             Act IV, Scene iii, Line 80

 

Malcolm, the true heir to the Scottish throne, and Macduff are in exile in England and talking with each other about the situation at home in Scotland. They started by talking about the tyrant Macbeth, but now Malcolm is trying to convince Macduff that he, Malcolm, would be an even worse leader than Macbeth. He’s only doing this to test Macduff and make sure that he is loyal and will help Malcolm to get rid of Macbeth.

Today’s lines are part of Malcolm describing what a bad king he would be; how he’d be so greedy that he’d be taking noble’s lands and riches from them. Macduff is not swayed by this and still wants to go and kill Macbeth, and help Malcolm become king. So he passes Malcolm’s test.

It’s kind of a stupid test if you ask me.



I agree: stupid test. You would never try to pull that malarky on me, would you?

No Mojo, I would never test you. 
Besides, I'm pretty sure you're malarky-proof.


No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                          I have heard Your grace hath ta’en great pains to qualify His rigorous cours...