Friday, September 6, 2024

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines

 

Some devil whisper curses in my ear,

And prompt me that my tongue may utter forth

The venomous malice of my swelling heart!

 

Aaron

Titus Andronicus      Act V, Scene iii, Line 13


As you can probably see from these three lines of dialogue, Aaron is not a really nice guy. Let me restate that: Aaron’s a bad guy. He’s been involved with Tamora and her sons with all their foul deeds. Now he’s been captured by Titus’s son, and he’ll be sent to his death before the play concludes at the end of this scene.

I’ve not much more to say about Aaron or this play. It’s not one of my favorites, as I’ve probably stated before. It’s Will’s slasher play, written quite early in his career. It’s hard to say what he was trying to do with this play. I would guess he was simply trying to write something that would sell, because at this point in his career he was probably more worried about establishing himself. It wasn’t until his career took off a few years later that he got into his really good stuff, the stuff where he did more of what he wanted, as opposed to what other people wanted; pretty much the way it is with writers, or directors, or creative people today. You gotta make a living.  

The more things change, the more they stay the same.


Make a living? What are you talking about; we don't work?

No, I guess we don't, do we. 
Anyway, it's nice to see that Mr. Mojo is back to his old self.



No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                          I have heard Your grace hath ta’en great pains to qualify His rigorous cours...