Thursday, September 5, 2024

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines

 

If the dull substance of my flesh were thought,

Injurious distance should not stop my way;

For then, despite of space, I would be brought,

From limits far remote, where thou dost stay.

 

Sonnet 44                                First Quatrain

 


I believe he’s saying that if he could work with what he’d like to do, as opposed to what earthly, concrete realities are, then he’d be with you no matter how far away you are. It seems to imply that you are far away.

Shall we take a crack at the second quatrain?

No matter then although my foot did stand

Upon the farthest earth removed from thee;

For nimble thought can jump both see and land,

As soon as think the place where he would be.

More of the same, I believe. In fact, he’s pretty much saying the exact thing over again.

Let’s look at the third and see if he’s gonna repeat one more time.

But, ah, thought kills me, that I am not thought,

To leap large lengths of miles when thou art gone,

But that, so much of earth and water wrought,

I must attend time’s leisure with my moan;

Okay, back to earth – literally. He’s stating the obvious, and that is that thought’s not going to get him to you when you’re far away; he’s just going to settle with sitting at home and moaning.

And the conclusion?

Receiving naught by elements so slow

But heavy tears, badges of either’s woe.

Again, he’ll just have to settle for sitting at home and crying.

There, you read and understood one of Will's Sonnets. Good job! And regardless of what you thought of it, I believe you’ve got to admit that this sonnet was pretty easy to understand. I’ll bet you could have done it without my help.

Even you Mojo.


Okay now, wait; I think that's the exact same look you gave me yesterday. 
Okay, I get it: you're' still not feeling up to snuff. 
Understood; I'll let you be.


 

 

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                          I have heard Your grace hath ta’en great pains to qualify His rigorous cours...