Tuesday, December 13, 2022

 


That such a slave as this should wear a sword,

Who wears no honesty.

 

 -Kent

 King Lear               Act II, Scene ii, Line 116

 

So, where are we today? Kent’s about to be put in the stocks for being all pissed off. He just can’t stop ranting. Just looking at Oswald has got him all wound up. You can look at a couple of previous posts on this scene here, here, and here to give you a little more background, but the bottom line is that Kent just can’t shut himself up. He continues ranting against Cornwall and the others until they end putting him up in the stocks. 

Talk less. A line from the play Hamilton which might have served Kent well at this point. Talk less. 

I find that to be good advice for myself in many situations, and I try to follow it when I can; not always, but often. I can’t remember the last time I just went off uncontrollably… oh wait, actually I can remember. It was a few years ago with my next-door neighbor about the property line. He had just paid a surveyor to find out that he was wrong about the line, and our discussion quickly devolved into me yelling at him uncontrollably. Yup, I went full Kent on him. Luckily, I didn’t end up in the stocks. Luckily, I have Patrice, who saved me by intervening. Good thing too. Oooof. 

Yes - Talk less. And yell and swear less too. 

This, believe it or not, is a pic of the aforementioned property line. There's a little bit of pink ribbon (See it? It's in the middle of the picture.) attached to the stake that the surveyors placed here. So I knew exactly where the line was, and StickBoy did too. Oh boy, I'm getting riled up just thinking about this. Okay, never mind. Talk less; or just stop talking. 
Goooooosfraba.





No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...