Sunday, December 11, 2022


 

Were it not better,

Because that I am more than common tall,

That I did suit me all points like a man?

A gallant curtle-axe upon my thigh,

A boar-spear in my hand; and- in my heart

Lie there what a hidden woman’s fear there will-

We’ll have a swashing and a martial outside;

As many other mannish cowards have

That do outface it with their semblances.

 

 

-Rosalind

 

As You Like It                                Act I, Scene iii, Line 119

 

Yup, that’s right, I gave you the whole paragraph instead of a line. But it’s pretty short, and pretty understandable. Rosalind’s just been banished from the court, so she and her cousin are talking about taking off on their own. Celia suggests that they give themselves a dirty appearance so as not to be taken advantage of since they will be two women traveling alone. Rosalind has a better idea:

Wouldn’t it be better, since I’m so tall, that I disguise myself as a man? An axe on my thigh and a spear in my hand, and, regardless of the woman’s fears in my heart, I’ll have a swaggering and valiant appearance; much like many cowardly men who have a manly look to them.

That’s my paraphrasing of today’s lines. It just seemed that whole little speech was better intact. Also, regardless of the fact that I paraphrased it for you, the original text is pretty understandable to me. What do you think?

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a curtle-axe (because I don't know what a curtle-axe is), but it's about the right size to wear upon my thigh. My favorite son-in-law found it for me in a little flea market store outside Nashville. The funny thing is that it's imprinted with the Boy Scout logo and the manufacturer, Bridgeport Howe Mfg Corp, Bridgeport, CT. Since I was a Boy Scout in Bridgeport, CT, Jeff rightly assumed that I would want it. 
Just the same, I probably won't be wearing it on my thigh anytime real soon. 

(postscript: I just looked up curtle-axe in my Shakespeare Glossary and apparently it's a cutlass, a sword. Since I don't have a cutlass, I'm sticking with my Bridgeport made, Jeff discovered, hatchet.)


No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...