Thursday, December 15, 2022

 

 

La fin couronne les oeuvres.

Dies

 

-Clifford

King Henry the Sixth Part II         Act V, Scene ii, Line 28

 

So old Clifford gives us his last words, and then dies.

I wonder if I’ll lapse into French, or perhaps German, for my last words. And what will those words be? And for that matter, what the heck did Clifford say? I looked up those two words and they mean crown and works. The end of the crown’s works? I guess, maybe. But I think there’s gotta be a better translation. And I can pretty much assure you that those will not be my last words.

I think about the future a lot, but I don’t spend much time considering what my last words will be. The way I’ve seen people die in real life, they mostly drift off so that there really are no last words.

I think some of us might remember the last thing that someone said to us, even though they were not that person’s last words. The last thing I remember my dad saying to me was ‘I’m glad you’re here, Pete.’ So those are pretty good last words to remember. In fact, I can’t think of any better last words to remember someone by.

 

Here's a pic of my dad at the other end of his life. That's him standing with his mom and little sister around this time of year 91 years ago. 
Time is a bugger, isn't it.

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...