Friday, July 21, 2023

 Today’s Totally Random Lines

 

True; who bears hard

His brother’s death at Bristol, the Lord Scroop.I speak not this in estimation, As what I think might be, but what I know Is ruminated, plotted, and set down,

And only stays but to behold the face

Of that ovation that shall bring it on

 

Worcester

King Henry the Fourth Part I       Act I, Scene iii, Line 282



Before I forget - Lord Scroop, what a great name! But let’s not spend time on that.
So, Worcester, Northumberland, and the latter’s son, Hotspur are discussing rebellion against Henry IV. In Today’s Totally Random Lines Worcester is talking about the Archbishop of York who, he says, is just waiting for the right opportunity to rebel against Henry as well.

If you recall, on Monday we had a line from later in this saga (actually, Monday’s line was from Henry IV Part Two, but it's just a continuation of the same story). At that point these rebels had lost a battle and were talking about getting the Archbishop to join them. So apparently, regardless of what’s being said here, they started the rebellion without the archbishop and came up with this idea of getting him in on it again in Part Two. I wonder what happened. Based on today’s lines it looks like they were ready to get this guy in on it. Well, this is Act I of Henry IV Part One. That line from Monday is Act I of Henry IV Part Two. So basically, a whole play happened, that’s what.

I did some perusing through Part One, and I can’t seem to find any mention of them deciding that they didn’t need the archbishop in order to get the rebellion started. Well, that’s going to turn out to be a miscalculation for them.

It’s interesting to note that the crew talking about getting the help of the archbishop in Part Two is a different set of guys, except for Northumberland, from the crew talking about it here, in Part One. I don’t know about Worcester, but Hotspur was killed in the battle at the end of Part One, so that’s why he’s not there in Part Two.

That’s a pretty fool-proof excuse for not showing up at a meeting.

“Where the heck is Jenkins! He’s supposed to be presenting on the new sales initiative.”

“He’s dead sir.”

“Oh. Well who’s going to present then!?”

And the show goes on; with or without Hotspur, with or without Jenkins.


A sticker that my wife got me.
 No, it's got nothing to do with Hotspur, or the archbishop, or Scroop, or Jenkins. But it's a good sticker, and I think it was made specifically for me. 


2 comments:

Squeaks said...

How many plays were broken up into multiple parts? If they were performed live, were they performed together or at different times?

That sticker was made for you.

Pete Blagys said...

Henry IV is two parts. Henry VI is three. All performed separately.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...