Sunday, July 23, 2023

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines

 

What is the matter,

That being past for consul with full voice,

I am so dishonour’d, that the very hour

You take it off again?

 


Caius Marcius Coriolanus

Coriolanus       Act III, Scene iii, Line 99



Ahhh, Coriolanus. What a great play.

This is the scene where the people are going to banish Coriolanus from Rome. Today’s lines are a little hard to understand, but basically he’s asking what is the matter? Why, he says, on the same day that you voted no (you passed me up) to me being  consul (consul is the head of state), and now you’re dishonoring me as you take it off again. I’m not exactly sure what those last words mean, but it’s something to do with the fact that hours ago he was good enough to be voted on for consul, and now he’s good for nothing.

Ain’t that the truth. Zero to hero in minutes, and then right back to where you started faster than you can say Bob’s your uncle.

Anyway, it goes from bad to worse after this. They accuse him of being a traitor and Coriolanus completely loses it. The fires in the lowest hell fold-in the people, he seethes. And he’s just getting warmed up.

So, as noted, by the end of the scene Coriolanus is banished. And that’s not going to work out well for anyone, is it?

 

Well, I couldn't find a picture of Uncle Bob (the fact that I don't know any Uncle Bobs probably had something to do with that), but here's the next best thing. It's a pic of Caleb (aka Karl), with his Uncle Pete. Yes, that's me. Yes, it's a very old picture. Yes, I'm now grayer and fatter, but I'm still Uncle Pete. And for the record, I haven't been banished yet. Unless you count...nah, let's not count that. 

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...