Friday, July 7, 2023

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines

 

Thou say’s well, and it holds well too; for the fortune of us that are the moon’s men doth ebb and flow like the sea, being govern’d, as the sea is, by the moon. As, for proof, now: a purse of gold most resolutely snatcht on Monday night, and most dissolutely spent on Tuesday morning; got with swearing ‘lay by,’ and spent with crying ‘bring in;’ now in as low an ebb as the foot of the ladder, and by and by in as high a flow as the ridge of the gallows.

 

Hal

King Henry the Fourth Part I    Act I, Scene ii, Line 41

 

Okay, long line. It is the reply to a long line of last week. Here, go take a look at that line, then come back and we’ll continue with this one.

Totally Random Daily Shakespeare

So this is Hal’s reply to Falstaff. Sir John remarked that they are squires of the night, governed by the moon, just as the sea is. Hal is agreeing, but he’s putting a different spin on it, saying that the ebb and flow of the tides are as low as the first step up to the gallows and as high as the top of the gallows. In other words, the squires of the night will all hang for their actions. And what does Falstaff do? Well he responds in true falstaffian manner (and I’m really surprised that falstaffian is not a word; let’s make it one, shall we?), By the Lord, thou say’st true, lad. And is not my hostess of the tavern a most sweet wench? First he agrees, so as not to create an argument, and then he immediately and completely changes the subject. It’s brilliant!

You know, I often use the ploy of changing the subject and sometimes it works, sometimes not (it depends a lot on the situation and on the person(s) you’re working with). But I really like the idea of agreeing first. That gives the other party the feeling that they’ve won, and so they’re more apt to be ready to move on.

Yes, brilliant. I’ll have to remember that.

Self-explanatory.


1 comment:

Squeaks said...

I went back to see my prior comments about Falstaff - "a weasel". I also saw your comment reply about him having the most lines of any character because he's in three plays. I didn't realize there was character crossover.

Why does it feel like the random lines have been swarming in one section lately? Are you manipulating the dice??

I've been victim to your subject change tact and I don't think I'm one of the sheep that falls into that. And I don't think a mostly empty and hallow agreement would change my mind on it! I smell a diversion when I see one.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...