Tuesday, April 11, 2023

 Today’s Totally Random Line(s)

           

                                                and in the morn

I’ll bring you to your ship, and so to Naples,

Where I hope to see the nuptials

Of these, our dear-beloved solemnized;

And thence retire me to Milan, where

Every third thought shall be my grave.

 

-Prospero

The Tempest           Act V, Scene i, Line 310

 


This is very nearly the end of the play. Prospero is speaking to the king and everyone else. There are only a few lines left with Prospero setting Ariel free, and that’s about it; except of course for the epilogue.

Now, I’ve always thought that last line above to be a little odd. Where every third thought shall be my grave. Will I be thinking about death all the time when I’m retired? I kind of hope not. I mean, I think about it now, at least occasionally. But might it really progress to the point where every third thought is about my grave? Seems a bit depressing, doesn’t it? I have to say, I really prefer my ending to the retelling of this story in The Rarer Action much better than the original. And I’m hoping that my ending is what will describe me best. 

 And thinking 'bout grandkids, yes that's what I'll do,

        Old age I’ll embrace, and some warm slippers too.


That's right; warm slippers, and perhaps a good friend like Sammy here. That's what I hope to be embracing.




1 comment:

Squeaks said...

What a good friend (and grandbaby?)!

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...