Sunday, April 30, 2023

 

Today’s Totally Random Line(s)

           

Love is merely a madness.

 

-Rosalind

As You Like It                                Act III, Scene ii, Line 399

                     

Love is merely a madness; and, I tell you, deserves as well a dark house and a whip as madmen do: and the reason they are not so punisht and cured is, that the lunacy is so ordinary, that the whippers are in love too. Yet I profess curing it by counsel.

That’s the whole response by Rosalind to Orlando’s telling her that he is in love. To be sure, the first five words (Today’s Totally Random Line) make for an interesting line. Don’t you think? It seems like something that you would hear quoted, and I probably have though I can’t recall it for sure.

Love is merely a madness. Albeit, a very common madness.

It’s lines as simple and complex as this one that keep me coming back to Will’s works again, and again, and again.

1 comment:

Squeaks said...

I think my favorite lines are the ones that are very simple to understand. This one is simple, sweet, to the point, and applicable to current life or timeless as it were.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...