Wednesday, April 12, 2023

 

Today’s Totally Random Line(s)          

                                               

No, nor mine now. – [to Polonius] My lord, you play’d once i’ th’ university, you say? 

 

-Hamlet

Hamlet                           Act III, Scene ii, Line 104

 

Okay, well this is Hamlet, the person and the play. So if it’s confusing, well, that’s because it’s Hamlet, the person and the play. A bit earlier in this scene Hamlet’s talking alone with Horatio, the only person he trusts, and his sentences make sense. Nearly everything he says to anyone other than Horatio has riddles, or double entendre, or who knows what. Here’s the brief interchange with the king. King     How fares our cousin Hamlet? Hamlet     Excellent i’faith; of the chameleon’s dish: I eat the air, promise-          cramm’d: You cannot feed capons so. King

     I have nothing with this answer, Hamlet; these words are not               mine.

Hamlet

     No, nor mine now….

So, this is not an Early Modern English understandability problem; this is simply Hamlet speaking in riddles. Is it worth trying to figure out? Well, you can bet there’s something to be had in those words, because Will wrote them. How much time have you got? How much time have I got? I’m not retired yet, so I do have places to be eventually. To be honest, available time or not, I’m don’t think I’ve got the inclination right now to try to figure this out. So I’ll leave it to you. Good luck!


I asked Sam if he wanted to spend a little more time on Hamlet's words. This is the response I got. I'll take that to be a 'no thank you'. 

 

1 comment:

Squeaks said...

I feel like scholars who are well versed in Shakespeare couldn't even figure out those lines.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...