Friday, April 14, 2023

 

Today’s Totally Random Line(s)

           

No, madam; for so long

As he could make me with this eye or ear

Distinguish him from others, he did keepThe deck, with glove, or hat, or handkerchief,

Still waving, as the fits and stirs of’s mind

Could best express how slow his soul sail’d on,

How swift the ship.    

                        

 -Pisanio

Cymbeline                             Act I, Scene iii, Line 14

 

Yup, another really long sentence; but a good one. 

First, context: Imogen, the king’s daughter, has married Posthumus, a worthy fellow, but not a royal; ergo, Posthumus gets banished. Now Pisano is describing Posthumus’s departure to Imogen. How slow his soul sailed on, how swift the ship. I just can’t help it; I find this writing absolute genius. I know, you’re reading this and saying to yourself, what the heck are you talking about, Pete? Let me make a feeble attempt to help you understand what I’m talking about.

Pisanio’s got to explain to Imogen that Posthumus didn’t just wave his handkerchief as the ship sailed off; he’s got to explain how loathe that Posthumus was to leave her. So… For as long as he thought Pisanio could see him for so long as he could make me with this eye or ear distinguish him from others he kept waving  with glove, or hat, or handkerchief (he wasn’t just standing there waving) to make it clear that he didn’t want to go - to best express how slow his soul sail’d on, so much slower than the ship he was standing on was moving.

I don’t know, did that help? Probably not. Good thing I’m not a lit teacher, eh? Oh well. Maybe read it over once or twice; Will’s words, not mine. Maybe a little of the genius of the words will start to sink in. Maybe not.


Can you see Posthumus waving from the back of this ship? 
If you can, then you've got a pretty good imagination. 

 

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...