Wednesday, April 26, 2023

 Today’s Totally Random Line(s)

           

Signior Baptist, my business asketh haste,

And every day I cannot come to woo.

You knew my father well; and in him me,

Left solely heir to all his lands and goods,

Which I have better’d rather than decreased:

Then tell me,— if I get your daughter’s love,

What dowry shall I have with her to wife?

  

-Petruchio

The Taming of the Shrew              Act II, Scene i, Line 120

                    

And Baptista assures Petruchio a satisfactory dowry, so it’s pretty much a done deal; all over but the crying. And the taming, of course. 

We’re at the beginning of Act II. It’s an odd little play, and I think it requires a bit of work to figure out. If you go into it looking for a play about nothing more than chauvinism and women being mistreated, then that’s probably what you’ll find. But if you go into it with an open mind, well there might be a little, or perhaps a lot, more for you to encounter. Perhaps.

But doesn’t that apply to so many things in life?


Well, I wanted to use a pic today that was representative of the question I ended today's post with. But I just couldn't come up with any ideas. 

So... no pic for today. 

Sorry.

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...