Monday, April 24, 2023

 

Today’s Totally Random Line(s)

           

Our love was new, and then but in the spring,

When I was wont to greet it with my lays;

As Philomel in summer’s front doth sing,

And stops her pipe in growth of riper days.

 

 

Sonnet 125                             

 

As usual I’ve given you one full quatrain of the sonnet. I found this sonnet to be quite easy to understand, though there’s probably more there than I’m choosing to see right now. One note: lays are songs. If you read Tolkien, or lots of Shakespeare, you’d know this, but otherwise you might not, and that’s why I’m pointing it out.

The whole sonnet seems simply to be saying that even though our love is no longer young, it is still just as strong, if not stronger. Yeah, simple as that. 

I could give you the whole sonnet, but I don’t really feel like typing it all out right now. I’m a bit hungry, among other things. So let’s call it a day on this matter, and I can start my day on most of my other matters.

Ta ta.

And here's where I get to spend most of that day. 
Hmmm, no wonder Walker's in no rush to get through college.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any thoughts on the use of 'Philomel'? Hardly the most comfortable reference in any love poem! I cannot but think of the myth in the later line 'Therefore like her I sometime hold my tongue'.

Squeaks said...

There was another sonnet a couple of weeks back that I understood a lot better. This one is a bit too complex for me...But I definitely like the meaning you provided.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...